Why isn’t achievement ever enough? Join CJ McClanahan as Dr. Mark Goulston, former FBI hostage negotiator and UCLA professor, discusses how a simple change in perspective will alter how you see your life and your success.
What We Discuss in this Episode:
- One of our society’s biggest challenges is our lack of emotional intimacy. We learn to replace emotional intimacy with achievement, and we stay there until we realize it’s empty.
- We live with four emotions: excitement, boredom, fear, and anger.
- Getting yourself off the achievement treadmill can seem impossible. Try this simple exercise: Rate your calendar on a scale of “I’m really looking forward to this” and “I’m really dreading this.” Then ask yourself, what do the events I’m looking forward to have in common, and vice versa?
- When you focus on achievement, you’re running on adrenaline, and that is a young person’s game.
- When you ask someone how they’re doing and they say, “great,” they’re usually good. If they say they’re doing fine, they’re usually not.
Mentioned in the Podcast:
- Goulston’s TEDx “What Made You Smile Today?” and #WMYST Challenge
- Take The Achiever’s Compass
- My Wakeup Call with Chip Conley
- Daring to Care: How to Build a Heartfelt Company
- Jason Reid’s TEDx, “The most important conversation you will have with your kids”
- Defeating Self Defeat by Dr. Goulston
Dr. Mark Goulston
Originally a UCLA professor of psychiatry for over 25 years, and a former FBI and police hostage negotiation trainer, Dr. Mark Goulston’s expertise has been forged and proven in the crucible of real-life, high stakes situations.
An influencer who helps influencers become more influential, his unique background has made him an indispensable and sought-after resource and change facilitator to Fortune 500 leaders, entrepreneurs and educators across the nation. He lives with his wife in Los Angeles, California.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps!