CH 6: Momentum
Now that you have all of the information to help you live a more satisfying and happy life, what are you going to do with it? Try having someone hold you accountable to help you on your journey and if that is not the direction you want to go, try setting a trap which will deliver a consequence if you don’t follow through on your commitment. This change you are seeking is not going to come quickly or easily, so be patient and be forgiving because you will stumble along this trip.
Now that we’ve reached the end, I think it’s time to let you in on a little secret. Personal development, self-help books don’t work. These are just words on a piece of paper – it’s what you do with them that matters.
In this final exercise, I challenge you to create the types of simple traps necessary to make meaningful progress towards your most important goals.
Here’s how this works:
- In the first column list at least three objectives that you’d like to accomplish in the next twelve months. These are probably goals that you’ve struggled to achieve in the past.
- In the second column list a trap that’s powerful enough to help hold you accountable.
- Headspace: This daily app can help get you in the right mind set to accomplish anything in your day.
- Spirit Rock: This is a meditation center located in California. If you are unable to fund a trip out there currently, try looking for other meditation centers near you. This website still contains interesting facts about how meditation can change your life.
- Loop Habit Tracker: This app can help you track your habits and can show you if you are making progress on your journey.
- Mind Tools: Here you can explore the many lessons and tips this club has to offer on helping you stay accountable throughout your journey.
- Six Tips for Accountability: This is filled with tips to help yourself set a “trap” to hold yourself accountable.
- First Things First
- Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles
- The Flinch
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
- Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life